9.13.2005

Was the WB's Lone Ranger all that bad?

In 2003, The WB gave us The Lone Ranger starring Chad Michael Murray and my friend, Nathaniel Arcand. Most Lone Ranger fans didn't like it. The origin story strayed from the established concepts. The names were changed and the look and feel were vastly different.
In hindsight, I think we got something that spoke to a different generation. I've heard from a lot of young adults -- who are not connected to the Clayton Moore or Brace Beemer versions -- who really liked the show. On its own merits, without the tradition and history of the character, it was a fun little romp. Chad and Nathaniel certainly have charisma and could have done well had it become a TV series. There was a lot left to flesh out in the way of character development. I, for one, would like to see Nathaniel have another shot at Tonto in the new movie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried to watch the movie, but my biases got in the way. The voice, the sloppy manner the outfit was worn, the long hair, it just didn't do it for me. Ditto with Tonto. We know that Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels will never be replaced. I agree that there is a whole generation out there who don't have a clue who these guys are. The values and morals they represent and live by are direly needed. Perhaps the new generation an accept them and absorb the message; then all is not lost.

Anonymous said...

i'd just like to see nathaniel naked :)