9.13.2005

Legend of the Lone Ranger

It's time for a confession. I liked The Legend of the Lone Ranger starring Klinton Spilsbury and Michael Horse. It's one of my guilty pleasures and I watch the video several times a year. I think the movie got a bum rap with all the negative publicity surrounding Clayton Moore losing his mask in court. I think if you strip away all the negative publicity surrounding Mr. Moore and the rumors concerning Mr. Spilsbury's behavior on set and take the movie on face value, you've got a pretty good story. I think Michael Horse was outstanding as Tonto. I liked the look they gave Klinton Spilsbury. I think Christopher Lloyd made a great Butch Cavendish. Sure, the film had some flaws, but it was epic in scope and visually appealing. And I can't get enough of the soundtrack. The music and narration are great. I wish we could get the movie on DVD (North American format) and the soundtrack on CD.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought the photography was great in the 1981 Lone Ranger movie. I also thought it took too long for him to become the Lone Ranger, but the scene where Klinton Spilsbury turns around with the mask on and then the scene with he and Tonto riding with the Lone Ranger music in the background sent shivers down my back the first time I saw it. I for one appreciate those who attempt to bring my heroes back and try to support them, rather than criticize their efforts.

Anonymous said...

Hoo Boy.,

This could have been a great movie. But I also agree that it took to long for the Ranger to appear. I am a hugh Lone Ranger fan. Always have been and always will be. The Ranger needs to come back. If there ever was a time we need some one like him it is now.

But the movie just had the wrong person in the role. I'm sure that everyone knows that his voice was dubbed in the final version. His mask was to small and his hair was to 80's. I know that this is nit picking the movie but I will always be a Clayton Moore fan.

Anonymous said...

i rememeber going to see this film i loved merle haggard singing the song but the pace was slow and dusty i had really lloked forward to this movie but came away feeling ripped off i did like one scene where he was kneeling over his brothers grave pledging his life to justice and burying john reed there forever by his brother but every thing leading up to the point and after were just ho hum he had not even been a ture texas ranger for more the ten seconds before they opened fire at them he really had no idea what rangers did and john beening a lawyer just made my stomach cringe and can you imagine living in the old west and some white man riding a white horse with a mask on and a injun beside him which one would have been shot first don't get me wrong i adore the lone ranger but how do they make a movie that is really believable i saw a later version in 2003 on tv witha blond haired kid as the ranger in his early days it was terrible and was so far off base i almost cried.